Skip to content


Once you've arrived in Worcester there are a few important steps to take so that you can settle into your new life. 

For a detailed schedule of welcome events see our induction timetable (PDF).

Validating your Visa

Tier 4 students will need to collect your BRP (Biometric Residence Permit) from the Admissions Office in the Woodbury Building, between 14.00 and 16.30 on Wednesday 25th January, Thursday 26th January and Friday 27th January.  Please do not try to collect at any other time as our International Student Advisor will not be there.

You must bring the following with you:

  • Passport
  • Letter received from the UKVI
  • Your CAS
  • Original qualifications as listed on the CAS

The International Student Advisor will take copies of your passport and visa, and Admissions staff will check your original qualifications as both are a requirement of our Tier 4 licence.

Short term students (on a short term student visa or 6 month visa stamp) will need to show your visa stamp and passport to firstpoint before they issue you with a Student Identification card.

Our International Student Advisor, Deb Graddon, is trained to answer your immigration and student status questions. You can contact Deb either by asking to make an appointment at firstpoint, by emailing or by attending a Drop-in on Mondays and Fridays from 10.00-11.00.

Please note if your current visa was issued to study at a different institution, it’s important that you contact the International Student Advisor as soon as possible.

Back to the top


Registering as a student

Your acceptance letter contains a User Name and Password. Follow the link in your letter to register online. Upload a passport sized photograph of yourself, then confirm your personal and course details are correct. Be careful to complete your home and local address details correctly as these will appear on your Student Status Letter.

If you have successfully registered online, you can collect your Student ID card from firstpoint.

Please note you will need to show your passport (and Short Term Visa if you have one) to firstpoint to collect your student card. Remember to take your iCard (in your welcome folder) for stamping as well.

Use it for:

  • Loading money for printing, photocopying and dining
  • Identification as a student

If you are you unable to register online, then firstpoint will be able to help you when you come to register on the 26 January between 12 and 2pm.

Please note if you have a Tier 4 Student Visa you must pick up your BRP, attend the compulsory part of the International Induction and have your original qualifications checked before you can collect your Student ID card.

Back to the top


Opening a bank account

If you are going to be in the UK for more than 6 months you should normally be allowed to open a free basic UK bank account.  This is an account which allows you to put money on and take it out using a Debit Card.  It will not normally allow you to have a Credit Card or an overdraft.

You can choose which bank to use but look carefully at what they offer.  Some banks will offer a more flexible account or a ‘student account’ but there may be a monthly charge for this account.  They may offer you ‘free gifts’ but consider carefully the value of the gift in relation to the charge.  The Post Office and some Building Societies also offer basic bank accounts.

This leaflet has more information for international students on opening a bank account in the UK (PDF).

Applying online, you can apply online before you come to the UK or after you have arrived.  We advise you to apply online no more than one week before you arrive in Worcester as you may need to go to the bank to show your essential documents within 14 days of your application.  The Bank will scan them and, send them to Head Office.  Your Debit Card will be posted to your UK address.

If you need help applying online, come to firstpoint on Thursday 26th January between 14.00 and 16.30 and a member of our support staff will be there to help you.

Applying in person, you can make an appointment with your chosen bank to go into and open the account with them.  This may take up to 1.5 hours.  You must take your essential documents with you. Your Debit Card will be posted to your UK address.

Apply by phone, you will still need to take your essential documents into the branch. 0800 numbers are free to call from within the UK. 0345 numbers are charged at the same rate as a landline number but will use up your ‘free’ mobile minutes.

Essential Documents:

  • Your passport
  • Your visa (if applicable)
  • A student status letter showing your home address and your UK address.

How to get a Student Status letter

  • User name and password
  • SOLE page
  • Living 
  • Bank Letter

Please note it can take several weeks to get your Debit Card so please be sure you have brought enough cash with you to last you till it comes. Approximately £250 should be enough. We don’t advise you to bring very large amounts of cash with you; bring larger amounts as a bankers draft or cheque made out to yourself.

Back to the top


Registering with the police

Some non-EU students need to register with the UK police within 7 days of arrival in the UK. This will be clearly marked on your letter from the Home Office confirming your visa status.

You will need to register online, when the registration is complet you will need to book and attend an appointment.

Please note to compete this application you will need to upload a passport sized photograph.

You will need:

  • Passport
  • Your Biometric card
  • UKVI decision letter
  • £34 in cash (exact amount please)        

Back to the top



We recommend that you book your accommodation before you arrive – it is very stressful to try to find suitable accommodation in your first few days.

If you have chosen university managed accommodation, you will be asked to sign a binding contract for a set number of weeks.  However, we understand that you may not be happy with your choice and we offer a five day ‘cooling off period’.  This means that you can ask the Accommodation Office to release you from your contract during the first five days after your arrival. 

If you leave your accommodation after the first five days you will be asked to pay your accommodation fees in full for the contracted weeks unless you can find another student who wants to take your room. You must not swap your room with another student without informing the Accommodation Office first. 

Back to the top



You should register with a doctor as soon as you arrive in Worcester, so that if you need to access medical care or use a dentist you will already be registered with the NHS and can seek treatment immediately. 

We have a Doctor’s Surgery, Farrier House Surgery, with a clinic on campus.  You will have an opportunity to register with them at the Student Services fair, or you can chose to register with a practice closer to where you live.

In the UK doctors are called General Practitioners (GPs) and they are usually based in Healthcare Centres called ‘Surgeries’, ‘GP Practices’ or ’Primary Care Practices’.

  • If you are an EU or EEA national or ‘insured’ resident you should obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before coming to the UK. 
  • If you are a Tier 4 Visa student you will be eligible for free NHS treatment if you have paid your healthcare surcharge.  

If you're not sure if you are eligible see the healthcare section of the UKCISA website.

Back to the top


People you need to know

International Experience team, for any enquiry related to being ‘international’ (e.g immigration, visa, culture shock etc.). Also for international themed social events and weekend trips, and for Exchange and Study Abroad enquiries.

Telephone: 01905 542013
Facebook group | Twitter

firstpoint for any other student related enquiry (e.g. paying fees, financial concerns, accommodation queries, health, module changes, etc.)

Telephone: 01905 542551

UKCISA, for all international student enquiries see the UKCISA website