Lecturer in Forensic and Applied Biology
Institute of Science & the Environment
tel: 01905 542482
I first became a Forensic scientist in 2000, shortly after I graduated with honours in Applied Biology from Newcastle University. Since that time I have worked for two of the largest Forensic providers in the country. During my time as a court going Reporting officer, I have been involved in many high profile investigation and scenes. I have also been involved in the training of Forensic scientists and police officers in areas of scene examination and court reporting.
In 2011 I became a part time lecturer at the University of Worcester alongside my role as a Forensic scientist. I found that enjoyed it and that I got great satisfaction from seeing students develop, learn and grow through the three year course and go on to become scientific professionals in their own rights.
I have recently become a full time member of the teaching staff on the Forensic and Applied Biology course at the University of Worcester, which has over a hundred years of combined practitioner experience.
BSc Applied Biology (Hons) Environmental Microbiology (Newcastle University)
- Teaching & Research
Teaching & Research
My areas of expertise include:
- Blood pattern analysis
- Forensic DNA profiling and interpretation
- Expert testimony
- Body fluid examination and interpretation
- Interpretation of evidence including Bayesian statistics and probabilities
- Crime scene interpretation
In addition to those areas detailed above I also teach:
- Forensic archaeology
- Human Health and Disease
- Project and career development
- Transfer and persistence of forensic evidence.
- Interpretation of evidence.
- Professional Bodies
Professional member of the Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences
- Additional Responsibilities
- Forensic scientist with Cellmark Forensic Services since February 2012
- Previously employed as a Forensic Scientist with the Forensic Science Service February 2000 – July 2011
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) ambassador
- Personal Tutor for many students
- Independent study tutor for forensic disciplines